This week’s News Cart tackles tariffs, Tumblr and terminated shipping contracts.
Trump slapped China with another 10 percent tariff on $300 billion worth of imports, but it won’t go into effect on some items until mid-December. Merry Christmas, everyone!
FedEx and Amazon keep their domestic breakup amicable, but there’s one last box of belongings to retrieve—and it won’t arrive via ground delivery.
Plus, WordPress.com owner Automattic scooped up Tumblr, reportedly at a fire-sale price.
In the News:
- President says a 10% tariff on $300 billion worth of Chinese goods will go into effect Dec. 15 instead of Sept. 1 for cell phones, laptops, gaming consoles and other items
- He claimed China broke its promise to buy more from American farmers, but he delayed the tariff “just in case” it would impact Christmas sales
- White House had already imposed a 25% tariff on $250 billion worth of Chinese imports
- FedEx says it won’t renew contract at the end of the month, citing desire “to focus on the broader e-commerce market”
- FedEx similarly ended its U.S. express air contract in June but will still handle international shipments for Amazon
- Amazon continues to expand its own shipping network
- Automattic bought Tumblr for a reported $3 million—much less than the $1.1billion Yahoo! paid in 2013
- Automattic to take on about 200 employees and move Tumblr’s backend to WordPress
- CEO Matt Mullenweg quoted as saying “eCommerce on Tumblr is a great idea”
- On Aug. 31 Amazon will end its support for Dash buttons, which it stopped selling earlier this year
- Digital re-order API to increasingly replace the physical reorder buttons
- Amazon Scout robots begin delivering in the Irvine area, after test runs in Washington
- Scout to deliver Monday through Friday during daylight hours
- Free same-day, one-day and two-day Scout delivery for Prime members
- Nike Adventure Club lets parents order shoes for kids ages 2 to 10 on a quarterly, bimonthly or monthly basis
- Subscriptions cost $20 to $50 per month, depending on chosen frequency
- Nike tested this subscription platform in stealth mode on Facebook for two years
- On Aug. 26, the International Air-Import Fuel Surcharge will increase by 1%
Top Forum Discussions:
(Subscription required to access. Not a member? Apply to join our vibrant community of 7-figure store owners today.)
- The Unbearable Misery of Achieving a Lifetime Ambition
- What Do You Do When You Just Can’t Seem to Fill a Position?
- B2B Marketing – How Our Grant Program Transformed Us
- Why We Invest So Much in YouTube
- Doubling Content: Lessons from 7+ Months Making Daily YouTube Videos
- Today I Completed the Turnaround I Mapped Out in 2016 … While on Vacation