Facebook dominates e-commerce headlines with its new cryptocurrency, Libra, which aims to address much of the criticism faced by Bitcoin and other digital currencies.
Similarly, upstart e-commerce platform Verishop takes on Amazon by trying to ease seller frustrations such as counterfeiting.
In other news, Walmart wants to stock your home fridge, FedEx cancels its express contract with Amazon, and Target hones same-day shipping.
But what will really get everyone yakking around the virtual water cooler is the news that Amazon Spark has died. (Well, that, and a Pakistani politician’s use of a cat filter during a live press conference.)
In the News:
- Libra to be directly backed by government currencies, so its value won’t fluctuate like Bitcoin
- Will be run by the independent, Swiss-based nonprofit Libra Association
- Government ID needed to buy Libra through a new digital wallet called Calibra
- Reportedly available first on Messenger and WhatsApp in mid-2020
- Imran and Cate Khan rolled out Verishop yesterday with 150+ brands
- Verishop aims to be a high-end, online version of a department store
- Platform courts brands frustrated with counterfeits by blacklisting “shady third-party sellers”
- Company cited desire to “focus on serving the broader e-commerce market”
- Amazon sales made up just 1.3% of FedEx’s total revenue for 2018
- Change won’t affect existing contracts with Amazon or international services
- Groceries delivered directly to customers’ kitchen or garage refrigerators
- Walmart employees wear cameras paired with smart entry technology
- Service launches this fall in Kansas City, Mo.; Pittsburgh; and Vero Beach, Fla.
- Deliveries powered by Shipt, which Target acquired in 2017 for $550 million
- Same-day selections now integrated on Target.com/sameday
- Spark, Amazon’s shopping social network, has been shut down
- Amazon Restaurants service also closing after the service was cancelled in London
- The title speaks for itself. This will be the best thing you see all week.
Top Forum Discussions:
(Subscription required to access. Not a member? Apply to join our vibrant community of 7-figure store owners today.)
- What Are You Willing to Pay a Blogger?
- We’re Pricing Products Cheaper on Our Site vs. Amazon to Drive Traffic
- Do You Have a Virtual Water Cooler for Your Team? (Slack or Similar)
- Reporting Copyright Infringement – Do You Retract if Violator Complies?
- Dumping our Shopping Cart for a Stand-Alone PWA
Compelling Job Opportunities
- eCommerce & Digital Marketing Manager |Rise Bar | Irvine, CA
- eCommerce Manager| Eagle Eye Outfitters | Dothan, AL
- eCommerce Associate | Who’s There Group | Los Angeles, CA
New ECF Content:
- Anatomy of a Scalable Business (Podcast)
- Hacking the Press With the Editor of Mashable (Podcast)
- Investing In and Outside of eCommerce (Podcast)
- Talking WordPress, WooCommerce & Events With Chris Lema (Podcast)
- 5 Lessons From My Time at a Hedge Fund (Podcast)