We’re kicking off today’s News Cart with some breakup news involving Shopify and Mailchimp. And hey —would you look at that? — we don’t even mention Amazon this week! Except just now.
In the News:
- Mailchimp cited privacy concerns, saying Shopify wanted it to “hand over customer data acquired outside of Shopify”
- Shopify blamed reports of “poor merchant experience” and Mailchimp’s refusal to relay important data back to sellers
- Speculation that Mailchimp is building a Shopify competitor
- Integration app to work until May 12, when Shopify’s new data-sharing terms take effect
- Checkout with Instagram allows users to buy brands without leaving Instagram using stored billing info
- Currently in closed beta testing for businesses
- Instagram declined to disclose the selling fee for merchants
- Instant Transfer taps into JPMorgan Chase’s access to a real-time payment network
- Similar to the Funds Now feature aimed at sellers last year
- Seen as a move to help PayPal compete with Zelle, Square and Stripe
- Apple TV Plus is a Netflix-like streaming service featuring original content from Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, Oprah and others
- Apple News Plus offers access to about 300 magazines and news publications for $9.99 per month
- Apple Arcade lets subscribers play unlimited mobile, desktop and Apple TV games for an undisclosed monthly fee
- AB-147 is now before the California Senate
- If enacted, bill will provide major relief for smaller businesses with no physical presence in California.
New ECF Content:
- Behind the Scenes at Growers House (Podcast)
- Amazon’s Growing, Changing PPC Business in 2019 (Podcast)
- Losing $500K+ Amid a Counterfeiting Nightmare (Podcast)
- Profit First: How to Keep More of What You Make (Podcast)
Top Forum Discussions:
(Subscription required to access. Not a member? Apply to join our vibrant community of 7-figure store owners today.)
- One Month After Hiring a VA From the Philippines
- New Source of Affordable Offshore Staff
- We Just Went Through a Texas Sales Tax Audit of the Last Five Years. Here’s What Happened.
- More Calif. Sales Tax News: Internal Government Debate Over Who Owes It
- E-Commerce Brand Manager | INTO THE AM | Anaheim, CA — Be part of a team that turns hoodies into art and was featured on “Shark Tank.”
- Marketing Manager | Inked Gaming | Corvallis, OR — Generate buzz for a site that lets gamers customize their play.
- E-Commerce Buyer | Tactical Gear Heads | Remote Job or Indianapolis, IN — Perfect for the analytical inventory buff who wants to work remotely
- Partnerships Project Manager | Kettle and Fire | Remote Job
- Marketing and E-Commerce Assistant Manager | Casio America, Inc. | Dover, NJ
Other Interesting Stuff/Articles:
- ‘Dragons’ Den’ Star Raises $70M for Startup That Finances E-Commerce Retailers – Clearbanc fronts companies’ Google and Facebook advertising for a percentage of revenues (hat tip to Taylor Pearson)
- The Relentlessness of Modern Parenting – Raising kids has become significantly more time-consuming and expensive
- Human Contact Is Now a Luxury Good – How the elite are rais sing their kids with less screen time
- Minaal Launches Third Kickstarter Campaign – The makers of Andrew’s favorite travel bag now have rolltop and crossbody bags, featured in their quirkiest video yet.